Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sex and The City Group

I will be completely honest, I really despise group work. It always seems like one person in the group does the majority of the work, and the other members get to bask in the glory. However, when our group got together for the first time I was pleasantly surprised. Not only did I get to do an entire presentation on my favorite movie ever, I got to work with some amazing individuals. My group and I really bonded, and was able to hold great communication throughout the entire process. No one really tried to step on each other’s toes, and all of the work was divided evenly.
I was given the task of the introduction. Sex and The City was not only a movie it also had six seasons of the television series to take into consideration; and a lot of intricate characters that needed to be shaved down to a presentable length. It was also difficult to explain the dynamics to an audience that is not well aware of the series. I chose to emphasize the differences and commonality between the four women; their different careers yet, all four were very successful in their own right. Each of them had vibrant personalities from the girl next door to the one who enjoys sleeping around.
The appeal of the series is the bluntness that these four individual women have. Whether it is their obsession with fashion, men or their inner circle of friendship, it is a movie that allows the audience to slip into a fun and energetic movie.
I picked this clip to play because it was not only the opening scene of the movie, it also gave great insight and a brief history of each girl.


Another clip I picked we played at the end of the presentation. This was a clip from the very last season of the series, when Carrie is having her final thoughts. I felt that is was fitting because she says a great part about relationships and it ties into what we have discussed in class all semester. Over all I had a great time doing this presentation, and I have met some great friends!

No comments: